Monday, February 21, 2011

Blended Salads

WARNING: There's definitely a gag factor here ...
Today's Recipe is a blended salad. I love the concept, but the texture got to me.
All you do is throw all your left over veggies from your veggie box or fridge into a blender. Add whatever you would typically add as a dressing, and blend. It can be crunchy or smooth.
It gives you more nutrients than a regular salad. After showing Domenick the green mushy muck I created and watching his face as I spooned each bite into my mouth, it became too much for my stomach (the texture was already getting to me).
All I could eat was half a cup. Maybe I put too much garlic in or something, but this was not my fave. 
Side note: the flavor was really good, it was the texture that got to me and sitting next to someone who looks like their going to gag doesn't help.

Blended Salad (or Soup) with a hint of Cilantro
Ingredients

1 large tomato or 2 roma tomatoes
1/4 to 1/2 cucumber (with peeling if organic)
1/2 red bell pepper (keep other 1/2 for chopping)
2 large handfuls leafy greens of any kind
Small handful (1/2 cup cilantro, packed in) stems and leaves
1/2 small avocado
Directions

1. Blend all ingredients in a blender (remember to keep other 1/2 of pepper for chopping).
2. Pour ingredients in a container and chop remaining 1/2 red pepper and stir in.
You can drink this nibbling on the red pepper or you can eat with a spoon.